LK Gregory Spotlight – Danny Camp, Vice President
LK Gregory provides drilling, blasting, and crushing operations throughout the southeast under the Plateau Excavation operations.
- How many years have you been at Plateau? Employed by LK Gregory under the Plateau Excavation “umbrella” – 11 Years. We started LK Gregory in April 2012 (As a subcontractor to Plateau Excavation, about 5 more than that – still as a blasting contractor general manager)
- What’s your job title? Vice President – LK Gregory Construction Inc
- What exactly do you do at our company? Anything that involves rock! From the drilling and blasting, crushing, and of course the hammers. Inside that threshold. I do a little bit of everything. The direction of the day-to-day activities for LK Gregory, blast plans, submittals, working with Plateau office and field teams, vendor relationships, and pricing. I still actually help the blasters and guys in the field. I generally spend more time in the field than in the office. I like to think I help expedite the project along and try to make everyone’s day-to-day a little easier.
- So far, what has been your favorite project? Truist Park would most likely be the obvious answer as we are a Cobb County-based company and personally a resident, but I think it would actually be the GTN Campus in Gallatin TN. It was a nearly unreachable schedule and, on the road, but we certainly had the right team on the project. At one point, every LK Gregory employee was on the project which was hard to imagine but with 5-6 blasts per day, it certainly took a great deal of coordination with us and the Plateau team to stay on target.
- How would you describe your team or the people you work with? Absolutely amazing. The team we’ve built is unmatched and getting better yearly. I knew from my time spent as a subcontractor in the same line of work as LK Gregory to Plateau, that from the management team in the office to the team in the field all had character and were the best around.
- What advice would you provide to someone interested in getting into this industry? It does not happen overnight and helps those around you. Take the time to learn as many aspects of your field as it only will make it easier when faced with an issue down the line. It also helps you gain respect for the others around you.
- What is your favorite aspect about your job, Plateau, or the industry? My favorite aspect of my job at LK Gregory and Plateau is the people I get to work with. While every day is not picture perfect, I do feel we get better and more efficient with each job that passes. We have a lot of tenured team members at all levels, especially at the foreman/superintendent level, so you develop friendships with the people you are around sometimes more than your own families.
- What drew you to Plateau originally? The people that I worked with as a subcontractor for Plateau. Many of my work relationships have developed into friendships over the years. Not to say some days it doesn’t feel like “work”, but it is easier knowing who I have behind me have the same common goal and you can depend on them.
- What is something unique about you (a fun fact) that few people are aware of? I was a drummer in a band just out of high school. I was going to be a rock star in some way or another just did not know it would be in blasting and not music! (Eyeroll.)
- Anything else to share about you or LK Gregory? I really put it back on the team we have built here, everyone deserves the credit. I just try to put the right people in the right positions where they can be the most successful. When it continues to grow steadily, have the successes that we have had, and grow the reputation that we have earned, it is pretty humbling to think it was just me and a few guys when it started. Not every day, you are given an opportunity to create something and see it come to fruition.
I really put it back on the team we have built here, everyone deserves the credit. I just try to put the right people in the right positions where they can be the most successful. When it continues to grow steadily, have the successes that we have had, and grow the reputation that we have earned, it is pretty humbling to think it was just me and a few guys when it started. Not every day, you are given an opportunity to create something and see it come to fruition.